Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Homework Folders

If you send homework home each night, you may find yourself in a paper war. It can get overwhelming to see who sent what, back. It was overwhelming for me. I couldn't stand it! I finally came up with a solution to my problem,  and I think I have a perfect product for you.Click the link to go to my TPT shop Homework helper!

Here is my folder set-up.
I have a pocket for homework and a pouch for pencils, sight word flash cards, and money.

The homework helper is right behind the pencil pouch.

The helper helps to alert parents that their child's homework has been turned in, and their child's behavior for the day. I like that part because you can see a trend in behavior for documentation purposes. 

Explanation:
1. You need to add the dates for the month and then copy/hole-punch for entire class.

2. Write the student's name to the top. The student can color the start and stop and the top of paper, if you choose.

3. The behavior circle is colored the day of behavior. Meaning... Today's date is when the red behavior is happening, so you color today's circle red. 

 4. When checking homework you will ALWAYS be a day behind. Meaning you sent homework home last night, and they turned it in today. Put a sticker in yesterday's circle. 
Today is 4/8. Circle is red. Student turned in last night's homework. sticker goes on 4/7.
5. When a child doesn't turn in homework, I write a simple note on the sticker sheet... When the homework is finally turned in, I put a sticker over the note. if it never gets turned in, I have documentation.

6. When the month is done, move to the next sticker sheet. You can file the sticker sheets away for reference. 

Other parts of my homework folder include: A parent communication area...

A pocket for graded work to be sent home...

I also include a reading log for the students to complete daily. 

I suggest using the poly plastic folders to stand up against backpack wear and tear. The parents have responded well to the homework folders, and look forward to them when their child gets home. They are handy in so many ways. 

Thank you for reading! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment